Summer Work Permits
Work Permits issued during the 2022-2023 school year, including summer permits, will expire on August 18, 2023.
The College & Career Center is closed during the summer, but you can still request a work permit through the main office: (805)
1. Print a Work Permit Application Form or pick up an application from the front desk during office hours.
2. Make sure the application is completely filled in by all parties (student, parent and employer).
3. Write your cell phone number on top (in case we need to contact you), as well as your student ID.
4. Bring completed application to the front office during office hours.
After your Work Permit is processed, you will be contacted on how to receive your completed Work Permit within two business days.
Grades and attendance are not a factor when issuing a Summer Work Permit. However, all work permits issued throughout the school year and during summer, expire five days into the next school year. In order to renew your work permit, your grades and attendance will be re-evaluated and if you do not meet the minimum eligibility criteria, your work permit will not be renewed.
Simi Valley Youth Employment Service (YES) provides services to help Simi Valley youth, ages 15-22, land their first job or develop their early career path.
Keep an eye out for various opportunities provided by our local YES.
- Youth Employment Services
- Why Volunteer?
- Local Volunteer Opportunities (PDF)
- Current Employers of SSHS Students
Work Permit Requirements
You do not need a work permit to look for a job, however, in order to comply with California Labor Laws, all minors under age 18 (including minors employed by parents) must have a work permit before your first day of work.
In order to be eligible for a work permit, the student must:
- have and maintain a 2.0 or higher GPA
- have and maintain a 90% attendance rate
- have and maintain less than 6 periods of truancy
Records will be reviewed quarterly and work permits will be revoked for students who do not meet these requirements.
Keep in Mind: Work permits must be renewed at the start of each school year or at the the time a student obtains a new job.
Outline of allowable work hours according to age:
|Ages 16-17: School in Session||Ages 16-17: Summer/Vacation|
|Ages 14-15: School in Session||Ages 14-15: Summer/Vacation|
Under 14 years of Age: Federal and State laws prohibit the issuance of work permits except in very limited circumstances. Contact the Department of Industrial Relations for more information.
Work Permits During the School Year
August 10, 2023-June 7, 2024
- Make sure you are eligible. GPA is based on most recent *posted* grades.
- Apply for a job! If you need help searching or filling out applications, come to the CCC or contact Youth Employment Services through City Hall.
- Once you have a job offer, pick up a work permit application form from the CCC.
- Make sure the application is completely filled in by all parties (student, parent and employer).
- Return the application to the CCC for processing.
Work Permits are ready for pick up after two business days. You may NOT begin work until you have received your work permit.
Please fill out the following Work Permit Request Google Form. This is for new Work Permits and for renewing an existing Work Permit. You will receive a reply email to your school email address if you qualify with your grades and attendance. If approved, you will receive further instructions. The Work Permit Documents you will use after receiving approval include: